Friday, March 15, 2013

The Chariot, For Today, As I Lay Dying and The Devil Wears Prada Concert!!

MAAAAAANNN!!!!

Well, I have a few goodies in the way of pics and vids to share with blog land from this awesome awesome show!!! I had been anticipating this one for months, and almost was too defunded to get a ticket puchased! But all things were to be... and here is....  The Chariot video

First up is a snippet from The Chariot's set. I love this band, but I don't think most of this audience was ready for this type of chaotic orchestration! When they took the stage, there were some very odd recordings playing, of chickens and such. Some of the feedback segments were allotted too much time, and I even saw some young girls covering their ears...

and my best pic of the band...

Next up was For Today. I'll have to be honest, I'm not that familiar with their songs. My son has played me some of his favorite ones, and I have listened to their albums occasionally when I find them on YouTube. But, they were a very crowd involving act. This was probably the most visible band all night because they really came up to the very front of the stage. I think they felt too much separation from the crowd because at one point, the singer asked people to come over the barricade and up on stage with him, but I think that request was nixed by the security. The band proclaimed that they wanted to be the ones to "tell it like it is" before they began their 'witness' to the audience. While they were sharing their beliefs with the crowd, their statements were met with tremendous cheers. It was quite predominantly an audience with a faith aligned with theirs, which I was not sure to expect or not when I saw that the entire band list for the show was either Christian bands or just Christians in a band. I did manage a few nice snapshots...



So it was kind of hard to get a good picture. The pit was pretty heated and I couldn't get closer than the sound board for most of the night. 
As I Lay Dying was again just an awesome show, better than the Mayhem Fest show. They did a much longer set, with 2 encore songs. I am pretty familiar with their last 3 or 4 albums, and they did several songs I didn't know, so I can tell they didn't refrain from digging into the vaults for this setlist. The video I captured has fair sound, but once again I was drowned in the sea of slammers and moshers, and never got a great view. Here is the video...



The Devil Wears Prada is another band I haven't really listened to that much. The first thing I noticed about this band was the drummer, he was playing a jazz type kit with a super large kick drum! I thought it was kind of odd, and kind of cool! I really dug their show, even a little more than I did at their Mayhem Fest performance. I could tell a lot of people had listened to their music, and were really into it. I tried to get a picture of the cool drum set....


Not great shots, but you can see the enormousness of the kick drum! The light up symbol was pretty cool eye candy for those of us that couldn't actually really see the band. 

Well I have to rank that one pretty high in the 'fun' category. It's not often I get to see 4 bands I really enjoy in the same show, one right after the other. The Diamond Ballroom has gotten better at running sound, and running shows. Everything went fairly smoothly, and ended with a long night of streaming heavy music till I crash landed in bed, with visions of hair and fists banging in my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment